Monday, July 12, 2010

The rest of the weekend in Manuel Antonio was great! On Sunday, I went ziplining. Finally! Steph, Greg & I had planned on doing that on our cruise last year in PR, but due to a hurricane, we were re-routed & our plans cancelled. A year later, I got to try my hand at a true canopy adventure.


We were picked up at 7 at Costa Linda, double styrofoam containers in tow--breakfast fromthe hostel manager. If you remember the size of desayuno from yesterday, you get what we looked like! The tour company, Titi Canopy, was located about 30 minutes outside of Manuel Antonio (these bus and van trips are really giving me a run for my motion sickness! I should really invest in some Dramamine! haha). I was definitely a little nervous, but totally excited! It was a great morning & we were happy we picked the early tour as the rainforest tends to get very, very hot! Also, we knew we would have the best chance of seeing animals the earlier we went.


Right away, the staff was super cool. They all had crazy nicknames, like Enrique the Horse, Jose the Lizard, & were really fun. They suited us all up in our gear & quickly explained our morning. We had 12 platforms, 13 ziplines & a rappel ahead of us. We were ready!!

l-r Jake, me, Liza, Gillian & Wendy

After a bit of hiking, they gave us a demo & next thing, we were on our way. When I got up to the first one, the guy asked me if I was nervous. Un poquito, I told him. His response to me was: Good. Me, too. HAHA! Not funny :(

No need... it was SO much fun! The two longest lines were 1100ft & 1500ft--REALLY long! You can hear the person on the line until they are detached (even when you cant see them anymore) & on the long ones, it felt like it never ended! The guys helped by telling you how and when to brake & catching you at the end. Good thing! I almost took one guy out on a line. I was so nervous of getting stuck mid-way that I had a hard time braking at the end. Whoops! I quickly became known as speed deamon :)

We stopped at a super overlook for a breather & some water before the 1500ft line.

What a view!

At the end, we had the chance to rappel, which looks a LOT harder than it is. They took a bunch of pictures of us, so keep an eye out on their website! ;)





We got back to Costa Linda in enough time to grab a seat for La Copa Mundial!! It was so great to be watching the final game in a country that eats, sleeps & breathes futbol. We relaxed at the hostel out on their patio, had some smoothies, quesohamburgesas & a couple Imperial. Some game!

Once the two 15 minute quarters were over & the refs granted the 3 extra minutes... the power went out! We couldnt believe it! It had been so quiet outside of the hostel with neighbors in other hotels watching the game in their room, & suddenly the street errupted with noise as fans scrambled to find a working TV. Crazy! Luckily, when it came back on 4 minutes later, there were no surprises from the 3 missed minutes. Phew! Seeing people from all over the world here in CR celebrating the EspaƱa win was so wonderful! What an awesome experience!

Today, kids at Carpio receive religion classes, so we werent needed. Alisa & I headed into San Jose for some exploring, & once those pictures upload, Ill get them on here also :)

No comments:

Post a Comment