Monday, July 5, 2010

Im here!


Yesterday already seems like forever ago! I had a great day of traveling. I flew Mexicana & am so pleased with their service. Food galore! My first flight they serves quesadillas or juevos, beverage and coffee after. My second flight included arroz con pollo & a bar selection that would beat out most adult functions. 3 bottles of liquor, Tecate, Dos Equis, Sol... all included. Yay Mexicana!

My camera wouldnt start in the morning, which has been my only speed bump so far. Not bad! Really, who checks to make sure their camera turns on before a trip? You dont. So I picked one up at a duty-free shop in SAN & was on my way to meet my ride. That's one serious souvenir :)

About 7 others arrived at SAN when I did, so it was great having others to start to get to know. I'd been assuming we'd go to the Maximo Nivel offices first, but to everyones surprise, we went right to our host families! Panic set into all 8 of us immediately.

Unnecessarily, of course. Every "mama o papa tica" greeted us with smiles and kisses. They probably get a little uneasy welcoming new americanos into their homes, too!

My family is Alejandro, and his parents, Ana & Marco. They speak fluent English & have wi-fi in the house. I feel so jipped ;) There were 4 other girls here... but 3 left to go to Tortugero & work with turtles. Melissa & I are left & she's great! They prepare our food & pack our lunch. so far, very basic stuff like spaghetti & leek soup, but I'm craving comida tipica mucho!

Today was jam packed! its 10pm here & I feel like its the middle of the night. I got up & going at 8 for orientation, then a Spanish placement test (I'm taking lessons while I'm here), walking tour of San Pedro, lunch (tamales y fresa!), Spanish lessons for 2 hours, AND salsa class (mucho divertido!). It drizzled for about 10 minutes today which is shocking & do much more preferable to yesterdays 7 hour downpour :) And, of course, no day is complete without an adventure! On my way home, I took the (correct! Yay!) bus too far, had to walk back longer than the actual ride should've even taken, wandered the streets in the dark & had a private homes guard call my home for me. Estupido americanos. I managed to steer clear of panic & my mama tica was waiting for me in the street. "ah, maybe Alejandro drive you tomorrow?" By the way, chica de nueva York, Costa Rica doesn't "do" street signs. Lo siento.

All in a days excitement. Oh, & the best thing is that Costa Ricans spend their days on "tico time," which, for anyone who knows me, seeks to be very similar to "Jenn time." Me gusta!

Buenos noche!

No comments:

Post a Comment